Up until the early 1970’s, the structure of the CRBL league schedule was such that teams almost entirely played once a week, with games stretching into September. Therefore, it was commonplace to have teams throw their established ace every game and every Sunday. Consequently, 100 innings, 100 strikeouts, and 10 wins a season occurred much more frequently than they do today.
Additionally, metal bats were used during a 30 year period starting roughly the early 70’s and lasting through the 2000 season.
- It’s estimated that 12,500 have appeared throughout the history of the CRBL
- An estimated 4,550+ pitchers in league history
- There have been 54 no-hitters in league history. The first was in 1909 by the Cadott Club’s William Manke.
- Under the monikor CRBL, Cadott’s Denny Whiteside threw the first no-hitter in 1970.
- The last no-hitter was thrown by Curtis Dachel in 2016. The 7-inning game was the 57th no-hitter in league history.
- The Tilden Tigers and Jim Falls Sturgeons are the currently the longest tenured teams, both beginning in 1965.
- Osseo Merchant’s Ryan Freitag hit for the home run cycle (solo, 2-run, 3-run and grand slam) in 2017 in a 18-1 win against Augusta.
- There have been seven cycle’s in league history. The most recent person to hit for the cycle was Tilden’s Mitch LaVelle in 2015 with an 11-2 win over the Stanley Slammers.
- The worst blowout in league history was in 1954 when the Hamilton Chevrolet’s defeated New Auburn 42-0.
- A total of 185 different teams have played throughout the CRBL league hsitory.
- Of the 185 teams, 95 (51.9%) have lasted less than 10 seasons, while 24 (13%) have lasted 10 seasons or longer.
- 64 (34.6%) teams have been in the league for only one season.
- Chippewa Falls has fielded the most teams throughout league history with 24. Eau Claire is second with 18, followed by 12 from Jim Falls and Lafayette.
- The WBA state tournament began in 1949.
- In 1957, the Chippewa Herald reported that the WBA consisted of over 160 teams in 20 leagues. In 2018, there were 61 teams in six leagues.
- There have been 61 players/officials who have been associated with professional baseball before or after before part of the league.
- The longest league winning streak is 28 games set by the Cadott Red Sox from the 1981 to the 1983 season.
- The longest losing streak is 42 games set by the Stanley Loggers from 2001 to 2003.
- In 2017 and 2018 combined, Jake Peterson allowed one earned run over 75.2 innings. In 2018, he led the league with a 0.00 ERA in 29.0 innings pitched; a new league record.
- The first championship ‘game’ was actually a best out of three series that took place in 1928, the second year in which the league functioned after an unexplained 18-year hiatus (there was league play in 1908 and 1909 and then absent until 1927). In the 1928 series, the Eagleton Eagletons swept Eau Claire Union.