Rules and Criteria for Election to the Chippewa River Baseball League Hall of Fame.
- Organization: Established in 2009, the purpose of the Chippewa River Baseball League Hall of Fame is to recognize and remember the outstanding players, managers, and coaches that have made their mark on the league’s landscape since the inaugural year of play in 1908.
- Electors: Any person who has been associated with the league for a period of ten or more years shall be eligible to be part of the Chippewa River Baseball League Hall of Fame (CRBL HOF) Selection Committee and election process. Association with the league shall be defined by — but not limited to — fulfilling the role of player, manager, coach, scorekeeper, grounds crew, or media member. In order to be part of the selection process, eligible committee members must attend the annual Hall of Fame meeting, to be held during October, preceding the election year.
- Eligible Hall of Fame candidates:
a. Must have been an active member of the league for a period of two or more seasons.
b. Any candidate will have ceased to be an active member of the league for at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election.
c. In case of the death of an active league member or candidate that has been “retired” for less than seven (7) full years, an otherwise eligible candidate will be eligible for the next regular election.
- Method of election:
a. The president of the CRBL Hall of Fame shall determine a yearly list of 25 eligible candidates for the upcoming election.
b. Electors may choose as few as zero (0) and as many as fifteen (15) candidates from the list of 25 eligible candidates.
c. The CRBL Hall of Fame president shall be one of the electors.
d. The selection process shall be one of discussion.
e. A voting procedure will be used only when necessary. For example, if and when there is a stalemate of opinion in determining the last several elected candidates in any given year, a vote will be held amongst the CRBL HOF Selection Committee members.
- Election: Shall be based upon — but not limited to — a candidate’s statistical record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the league and their specific team(s).
- Automatic selections: No automatic selections based on performance such as winning a batting title, pitching a no-hitter or a similar outstanding achievement shall be permitted. Additionally, career achievements such as 300 hits or 50 pitching wins will not qualify as an automatic election.
- Election time table:
a. The list of 25 eligible candidates will be named by March 1st.
b. The list of elected candidates — if any — will be named by March 1st.
c. The list of 25 eligible candidates and subsequent elected candidates will be distributed at the CRBL scheduling meeting, to be held in February.
d. The list of elected candidates will be announced to the public and media in conjunction with the league’s All-Star “break” and at the All-Star game itself.
- Time on ballot: Each candidate is allowed — but not required — to be on the ballot for a maximum of ten years. If after ten years or less, a candidate has not received CRBL Hall of Fame election, he will be removed from the yearly list of 25 eligible candidates.
- Veterans Ballot:
a. Once removed from the “active” list of 25 candidates, a person is eligible for reconsideration two years later. This will be known as the Veterans Ballot.
b. A candidate is allowed to be on the Veterans Ballot for five years or elections. There is no limit to the number of candidates on the Veterans Ballot.
c. A candidate or candidates may be chosen from the Veterans Ballot by the Veterans Committee.
d. Eligibility for the Veterans Committee will be defined by being an active part of the Hall of Fame selection process for three consecutive years or elections.
a. Elected candidates will be notified via mail with a congratulatory letter, a framed copy of their Hall of Fame biography, and a complimentary copy of the most current CRBL Record Book.
b. All facts and rankings listed on player biographies are current as of the election year, but shall be amended if future research deems it necessary.
- Amendments: The president of the Chippewa River Baseball League Hall of Fame reserves the right to reverse, alter, or amend these rules at any time.